Assumed Names - Doing Business As (dba) Information
The Texas Business and Commerce Code requires businesses to
file an ASSUMED NAME CERTIFICATE,
commonly known as “doing business as or dba”.
Also, most banks require a proper filing to open a business checking account.
An Assumed Name Certificate must be filed with the County Clerk’s office in the
county in which you plan to conduct business.
Please, note the following:
- Beginning March 1, 2013 all Assumed Name forms will no longer be provided
at the County Clerk office; however, they may be acquired from the Secretary of
- Prior to creating a new business and completing your Assumed Name form you need
to do a search to ensure the name you’ve selected isn’t being used. Go to
select Smith County and do a “free search” for assumed names.
- To locate the appropriate forms necessary to register a name under the Texas Business
Organization Code; Filing or Abandoning an Assumed name go to:
and look for DBA's on the left side of the screeen.
- All questions you have concerning the process of filing an assume name will need
to be directed to an attorney, as we cannot offer legal advice.
- Once you’ve completed the form, bring it to the Land Records Dept. located in the
basement of the County Clerk’s office at 200 E Ferguson, Tyler. Bring along with
you a valid government issued ID. The required fee of $14.00 for the first signature
(owner) and .50 for each additional signature (owner) will be collected at the time
- If all owners appear in person with their valid government Picture ID the County
Clerk deputy can make a deputy acknowledgment and place a notary acknowledgment
on your form, FREE of charge.
- All signatures must be notarized and all persons must be present to have their signature
- We accept cash, cashier’s check, business check or money order made payable to Karen
Phillips, County Clerk.
- Assumed Name Certificates are effective for a term not to exceed 10 years from the
date the certificate is filed.
Office hours: 8:00a.m. - 4:45p.m.. All transactions
must be completed by 4:45p.m. to allow time for deputy clerks to close and reconcile
For additional information contact the Secretary of State at 512-463-5555 or visit