The Smith County Communications Office strives to promote transparency by providing the public with the most accurate, accessible and up-to-date information possible while promoting the county's brand and message of "Striving for Excellence."
Located on the first floor of the Smith County Annex Building
200 E. Ferguson, Suite 100
Tyler, Texas 75702
Email: Casey Murphy
Grand Jury Selection Set for July 16
Smith County has sent out grand jury selection summons and is asking those who receive them to fill out an online questionnaire before reporting for jury duty.
The summons, mailed this week, ask people to report to the Rose Garden Center on July 16, for jury selection to possibly serve on 114th District Judge Christi Kennedy’s grand jury.
Potential grand jurors are “strongly encouraged” to immediately fill out the online forms regarding disqualification, exemptions, other excuses, and the COVID-19 questionnaire, Judge Kennedy said, adding that she hopes to receive the online responses by Tuesday, June 23.
The July 16 jury duty is not being held in the Smith County Courthouse. Instead, it will be conducted at the Rose Garden Center, 420 Rose Park Drive (off of Front Street), to allow for social distancing.
Precautions being taken to protect the health and safety of potential grand jurors include:
- Leasing of much larger facility to accommodate 6-foot social distancing;
- Jurors strongly encouraged but not required to wear masks;
- Frequent cleaning at Rose Garden Center in accordance with CDC and NET Health standards;
- Potential grand jurors will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and temperature taken before entry;
- Court will consider before July 16 any mail-in or online requests to be excused;
- Hand sanitizer stations throughout the facility;
- Check-in and seating in a format to encourage social distancing.
For more information, visit www.smith-county.com