The Smith County Fire Marshal’s Inspections Division is responsible for ensuring that new buildings constructed in Smith County are built in compliance with the adopted fire code and that all existing buildings are maintained to prevent fire and life safety hazards.
The fire inspectors conduct inspections during normal business hours Monday through Friday.
In accordance with Local Government Code, Chapter 352.016, all fire and life safety inspections in unincorporated Smith County must be performed by a fire inspector, or approved designee. The Fire & Life Safety Inspection Standard is NFPA 101 2015 ed., NFPA 1 and other referenced codes and standards.
The inspection division is responsible for all scheduled inspections to include but are not limited to:
- New Construction Inspections
- Licensed Facility Inspections
- Annual Inspections
- Fire alarm acceptance
- Fire Sprinkler acceptance
- Fire Suppression acceptance
- Complaint Inspections
- Fire Protection System Notification Inspections
- Pursuing Civil and Criminal Actions for Compliance
- Administration Office: (903)590-2655 (Monday – Friday 8 am to 5:00 pm CST)
- Fire Safety Tip Line: (903)566-6600 (24hrs)
- For Foster/Adoption inspections: Deputy Caitlin Roberson: (903)590-2653 or CRoberson@Smith-County.com
- For Commercial/New Construction/Fire Sprinkler & Suppression System Inspections: Asst. Fire Marshal Chad Hogue: (903) 590-2657 or PHogue@smith-county.com
Current Inspection Fee Schedule
Daycare $75.00 Each Additional Building $20.00 Foster Home / Adoption 1-6 $50.00 7-12 $100.00 Group Home 1-3 $75.00 4-16 $100.00 17-25 $150.00 26 or more $200.00 Each Additional Building $20.00 Nursing Facility / Assisted Living 1-99 $250.00 100-199 $300.00 1.3G Fireworks Display Site Inspection $50.00 1.4G Fireworks Proximity Site Inspection (requires standby observer) $50.00 Fire Alarm System $100.00 Sprinkler System up to 25 heads $100.00 each additional head .25 ¢ Apartment Building < 4 $200.00 < 30 $250.00 > 30 $300.00 Assembly / Event Center $150.00 Commercial / Retail < 5000 sq ft $150.00 < 10,000 sq ft $200.00 Restaurants $150.00 Industrial / Warehouse $200.00 Other Buildings not listed < 25,000 sq ft $200.00 > 25,000 up to < 100,000 sq ft $300.00 Each Additional Building $20.00