Pre-Trial Release Director Gary Pinkerton
In 2014, the Smith County Commissioners Court appointed Gary Pinkerton as the Director of the Pre-Trial Release and Personal Bond Office. He is also the Criminal Justice Coordinator for the Commissioners Court.
Prior to his appointment, he was employed at the Upshur County Sheriff’s Office and served as captain over the Detention Division, Court Security and Extradition Division. Pinkerton worked for the Smith County Sheriff’s Office for more than 28 years, and rose through the ranks to chief deputy, retiring in 2012. He is very active in the community and serves on the board of directors for several nonprofit organizations. He has also received numerous awards during his years of service.
Smith County Courthouse Annex,
200 E. Ferguson, Room 213,
Tyler, Texas 75702
Phone: (903) 590-2620
Fax: (903) 590-2626
Office Hours: Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Closed for lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The office follows the Smith County Holiday Schedule.
- Interviewing and investigating individuals recently incarcerated in Smith County Jail.
- To allow to the maximum extent possible, release for persons who have been accused of criminal offenses pending judication of their charges.
- To assure that accused persons appear in court to face their charges and that they do not pose a threat to the public or any specific individual during this period.
- Monitoring client's weekly check-in and enforcing the defendant's compliance of bond conditions and court appearances.
- Receiving, checking, sorting, scanning into the computer and distributing all bonds to the appropriate departments and agencies.
- Performing all administrative and clerical functions for the bondsmen and the Bail Bond Board.
|Swann, Lynda||Office Manager||Pretrial Release||(903) 590-2623|
|Scott, Michael||Investigator||Pretrial Release||(903) 590-2624|
|Pinkerton, Gary||Director||Pretrial Release||(903) 590-2621|
|Carroll, Verna||Investigator||Pretrial Release||(903) 590-2622|
A Pre-Trial Bond is a personal bond offered as an alternative to jail release for those individuals who qualify. The Pre-Trial Release Office is funded through the Smith County Commissioners Court, and was established in March of 1979.
The mission of the Smith County Pre-Trial Release and Personal Bond Office is to provide judges and magistrates with information on defendants charged with felony and/or misdemeanor offenses by thorough, accurate interviews and investigations.
Our office provides:
- Appropriate bonding for defendants considered for release by a judge/magistrate and assist in the reduction of the jail population pursuant to Jail Standard Compliance.
- Supervision of defendants released on personal bond geared towards assuring court appearances and heading off unlawful behavior.
- Information to the court regarding violations of court ordered release conditions.
The Personal Bond Office will treat all people equally, regardless of race, national origin, disability, age, gender, sexual orientation or religion.