Commissioner JoAnn Hampton
Commissioner Hampton has demonstrated a long history of public service. She served as a Tyler City Council Member for six years and Mayor Pro Tem for one year.
Commissioner Hampton took office as County Commissioner for Precinct 4 on January 1, 2003. She is now in her fourth term as County Commissioner of Precinct 4, and serves as the voice of the county's northwest district. She also serves on the executive board of the East Texas Council of Governments. Commissioner Hampton is a recipient of the 2014 Unsung Hero Award from the Winners Circle Peer Support Network of Texas. She is a member of the Star of Bethlehem Court #175 Heroines of Jericho and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, Gamma Omicron Omega Chapter.
Commissioner Hampton believes in basing her decisions on sound reasoning which will empower all people with an opportunity to benefit from those decisions. She has a track record of standing firm and defending her beliefs. She is a graduate of Texas College, with a bachelor's degree in business administration.
She is married to Kevin S. Hampton and enjoys spending time with their children: son, Miles; daughter, Constance Potts and husband, Robert; and grandchildren, Harper Addison Potts and Noah Atticus Potts, all of whom reside in the Dallas area.
Education and Awards
- Completion of Texas Association of Counties Advance Commissioners Curriculum 2010
- Graduate of Texas College with a Bachelor’s of Business Administration
- Graduate of Tyler Junior College, Associate of Applied Science, Legal Assistant
- Graduate of the New East Texas Foundation Leadership Class of 1995
- Graduate of Leadership Texas 1996
- Certified Clinical Research Professional and employed by East Texas Medical Center Cancer Institute
- Heroines of Jericho, Star of Bethlehem Court #175
- Rose City Civitan
- Tyler Metro Chamber of Commerce - Chairman of the Board
- Women in NAACP
- Tyler ISD CTC Executive Committee
- Smith County Commissioner (2003 - present)
- Tyler City Council Member (1994-2000)
- Mayor Pro Tem (1998-1999)
- Half-Cent Sales Tax Board Member (2000-2006)
- Past President of the East Texas Council of Government
- Juvenile Crime Coalition, Chairperson
- Texas Democratic Women of East Texas
- Women in Tyler Committee
- TISD Bond Oversight Committee
- Tyler Pipe Community Advisory Panel
- Tyler 21 Steering Committee
- Vice Chair of the Tyler 21 North End Revitalization Committee (TIRZ)
Smith County Annex Building
200 E. Ferguson, Suite 100
Tyler, Texas 75702
Phone: (903) 590-4604