Tax Assessor-Collector Gary Barber
Gary Barber has been the Tax Assessor-Collector for Smith County since he was first elected in 2004.
As Tax Assessor-Collector, Barber is responsible for calculating and mailing all tax statements in Smith County, collecting taxes and distributing money to the jurisdictions. He is also responsible for all auto registrations and titles in the county, as well as creating, submitting and monitoring his office’s budget.
Before being elected to public office for three terms, Barber worked for the Smith County Appraisal District for more than eight years. In addition to his various paying jobs, he has managed the accounting responsibilities for Amy B’s, his wife’s retail business, for 26 years.
He is past president of the Tax Assessor-Collector Association and is a current board member of the Texas School Assessors Association. Barber graduated from John Tyler High School and earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from The University of Texas at Austin.
Throughout the years, he has received several certifications, including Registered Texas Assessor-Collector, Registered Professional Appraiser Professional, Professional County Collector; and County Tax Office Professional. Barber is past president of the Kiwanis Club, a member of Lodge 72-Woodmen of the World and is involved in the American Cancer Society, East Texas Crisis Center and Green Acres Baptist Church.
According to the Texas Constitution, the Tax Assessor-Collector is a constitutionally required office for counties with more than 10,000 population. There are two main duties at the Smith County Tax Office which are the collection of property taxes and the licensing and titling of vehicles.
If you see something you do not understand, or if you do not see something that you are looking for, please tell us. Our goal is to provide the best possible service for you.
Location and Contacts
P.O. Box 2011
Tyler, Texas 75710
1517 West Front Street
Tyler, Texas 75702
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M - F
Phone: (903) 590-2920
Fax: (903) 590-2939
Phone: (903) 590-2900
Fax: (903) 590-2908
Please Note: Information changes needed on tax statements (ex: name, address, etc.) are made through the
Property Tax Overview
- Mails tax statements to taxpayers each year
- Submits a list of delinquent tax accounts to the designated authorities
- Collects property taxes for contracting taxing jurisdictions in Smith County
- Distributes tax collections to contracting taxing jurisdictions
- Issues receipts for taxes paid
Notifies delinquent taxpayers of their delinquent status
Motor Vehicle Registration Overview
- Registers motor vehicles for the Texas Department of Transportation
- Processes applications for certificate of title for automobile purchase/owners
- Collects fees for the Texas Department of Transportation
- Distributes registration and title fees to the Texas State Comptroller
- Issues special license plates